@Halfpoint – stock.adobe.com

Let us show solidarity:

Neighbourly help for refugees from Ukraine

Neighbourly help for refugees from Ukraine

Here you can find the most important information, if you want to provide help for refugees from Ukraine (f. ex. with offers of accommodation or donations in-kind) or if you need information / help for yourself or friends and family members from Ukraine.

First steps in Upper Austria

Registration as a displaced person


@physyk - stock.adobe.com

Displaced persons who wish to stay in Austria must register with the police registration offices.

Displaced persons from the Ukraine seeking help and who want to stay in Upper Austria receive the residence permit "ID card for displaced persons" (which is not issued or delivered by the police). Prompt registration at one of the registration offices in Linz is required to receive the ID card.

Accessibility of the registration offices:

  • Linz
    4020 Linz, Waldeggstraße 41, Postverteilerzentrum Linz
    Monday and Friday from 08:00 to 18:00

Mobile registration
The LPD Upper Austria has a mobile registration system for the primary registration of people who, due to their physical condition, are unable to visit one of the registration offices mentioned above. Reachability:  +43 664 88 22 98 30

You can find all registration points with addresses, opening hours and telephone availability as well as FAQs on the website of the State Police Headquarters Upper Austria:

Required documents
If available, when registering, you should take the following documents with you:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate, marriage certificate, other civil status documents
  • Other identity documents, such as identity card, driving license, residence permit etc.

As a result, an ID card for "displaced persons" will be issued and sent by post within the following days. The ID card for displaced persons is a confirmation of the tolerated residence and is required in order to be able to receive services from the AMS (e.g. German courses).

Health Insurance

Health Insurance and Health

@polack - stock.adobe.com

Ukrainian nationals and other persons temporarily residing in Austria since the beginning of the war on February 24th 2022 have a health insurance at the Austrian Health Insurance Center (ÖGK) from the first day onwards of their arrival on the Federal Austrian territory.

Please pay attention to the fact that the required registration for health insurance only takes place automatically if the person concerned benefits from basic allowance.

Displaced persons will receive an insurance number and an e-card replacement document, but no e-card. The insurance numbers are issued as part of the registration of Ukrainian refugees.

If the registration has not been performed yet, one can still benefit from services (doctor, pharmacy, etc.) upon presentation of the Ukrainian passport.

Tuberculosis: Chest x-ray

Due to the Upper Austrian Tuberculosis Serial Examination Ordinance you are obliged to undergo a chest x-ray and examination. You will receive a written invitation to an examination from the local administration authority in your district (Bezirksverwaltungsbehörde).

German courses

Learn German

@sezerozger - stock.adobe.com

We kindly invite you to attend one of the various German courses for Ukrainians in Upper Austria. Taking part there might help you to get better along in Upper Austria and could increase your chances on the labor market. The Upper Austrian State Government offers low-threshold courses for newly arrived Ukrainians with the title “Hallo in Oberösterreich” (“Hello in Upper Austria”) in all districts.

Hallo in Oberösterreich (Hello in Upper Austria) – Courses
The government of Upper Austria offers, in cooperation with the education and training providers (BFI, VHS, WIFI), courses for newly arrived Ukrainians called "Hallo in Oberösterreich". The courses last between 4 and 8 weeks and are available in all districts. The "Hallo in Oberösterreich" courses are also available on-site as on demand seminars for 10 or more participants.
Send your request regarding the "Hallo in Oberösterreich" German courses to ukraine-deutschkurs@ooe.gv.at.

ÖIF offers
You have the possibility to attend free German courses in all of Austria. The program is called "Startpaket Deutsch & Integration" and offers German courses at more than 80 locations. ÖIF also supports participation in other German courses. In order to improve your German skills, in addition to the course, you can also take part in the voluntary learning groups "Treffpunkt Deutsch".

For further information on the courses of the Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF), we ask you to enter in contact with the organization by writing an email ukraine@integrationsfonds.at or calling  +43 1 715 10 51 120.

Tips and information, free exercises and materials for learning German:

Startpaket Deutsch (ÖIF) – handled by BFI

The German courses offered by BFI comply with the standards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and the current legal regulations. German courses in accordance with the standards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. By attending intensive courses, you can reach a language level in only six weeks!

For the course registration it is essential to bring your:

  • Identity card for displaced persons
  • Registration form
  • E-card replacement document

As a result, a certificate of "immigrant" is created, which is sent by mail a few days later. The ID card for displaced persons serves as proof of authorized stay and is necessary to be able to receive services from AMS (e.g. German language courses).


24-hour emergency hotline of the Federal Office

 +43 1 267 870 9460
In case of emergency the line is available 24 hours a day.

ÖIF-Hotline in Ukrainian

Ukrainian-speaking employees of the ÖIF  answer all questions about care, orientation, living and working in Austria on the hotline  +43 1 715 10 51 - 120 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m and also give information about the responsible authorities for your issues.

Solidarity hotline of Upper Austria

 +43 732 7720 16200
Monday to Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m

Important contact points

Office of the Upper Austrian state government
Bahnhofplatz 1
4020 Linz
 +43 732 7720 16200

Federal Agency for Reception and Support Services
Multilingual hotline for urgent cases
 +43 1 2676 870 9460

Volkshilfe Upper Austria
Glimpfingerstraße 48
4020 Linz
 +43 732 34 05



Caritas Upper Austria
Kapuzinerstraße 84
4021 Linz
 +43 732 7610 2020

Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF)
Weingartshofstraße 25
4020 Linz
 +43 732 787 043

Opening hours
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m
Saturday and Sunday: closed

Austrian Public Employment Service, State Office Upper Austria
Europaplatz 9
4021 Linz
 +43 50 904 440

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m

Directorate of Education Upper Austria
Sonnensteinstraße 20
4040 Linz
 +43 732 707 10

Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m
Saturday and Sunday: closed

Helping together Upper Austria
Martin-Luther-Platz 3/3
4020 Linz
 +43 664 533 17 56

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 09:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 09:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Federal Office for Immigration and Asylum (BFA), Regional Directorate Upper Austria
Derfflingerstraße 1
4020 Linz
 +43 59133 45 7043 Hotline
 +43 59133 45 7001 Appointment

State Police Headquarters Upper Austria (LPD)
Gruberstraße 35
4020 Linz
 +43 59133 40 0

Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
Saturday and Sunday: closed

Violence Protection Center Upper Austria - Point of contact for domestic violence
Stockhofstraße 40
4020 Linz
 +43 732 6077 60

Arcobaleno Meeting Center
Friedhofstraße 6
4020 Linz
 +43 732 605 897

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m
Friday, Saturday, Sunday: closed

STOP - Neighborhoods without partner violence
only available by phone 
 +43 664 19 11 428

Phone times
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 09:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m
Tuesday also: 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m

Help together in Upper Austria

I want to help

I offer accommodation

Here you can transmit a message to the Office of the Upper Austrian State Government where you describe the accommodation (address, size, features etc.). After your announcement and a first check the message will be forwarded to NGOs like Caritas in Upper Austria, Volkshilfe in Upper Austria or the Red Cross. Then, an employee will call you. Please note that this process can take up some days.

Please note, that if you offer several accommodations you need to fill in a separate form for every location.

Here you can register your accommodation (flat, room etc.) 

Information sheet for providers of private accommodation

Here you can find all information if you would like to offer accommodation for displaced persons

To the information sheet for providers of private accommodation  (138,52 KB)

We want to become a host family

On behalf of the Children and Youth Welfare (Kinder- und Jugendhilfe) and the basic care in Upper Austria, The SOS Children’s Villages (SOS-Kinderdorf) are looking for host families. They should provide temporary housing, attention and individual care for children and adolescents who come to Austria without their care-givers. Employees from the SOS Children’s Villages are establishing the contact between host families and children/adolescents. They also offer long-term support for the families and help with words and deeds.

You want to become a host family? Here you can register. Please note, that if you offer several accommodations you need to fill in a separate form for every location.

Information about SOS Children’s Villages 

I want to work as a volunteer / I founded an initiative

The platform “zusammenhelfen in OÖ” (Helping together in Upper Austria) from the association “dieziwi” offers networking opportunities between initiatives and volunteers on behalf of the Upper Austrian government. Newly founded and already existing initiatives can register and become visible on the platform “zusammenhelfen” an can also attract new volunteers. “zusammenhelfen in OÖ” (Helping together in Upper Austria) is, furthermore, the main contact point for voluntary work in all Upper Austrian districts.

To the website of the Association for the promotion of voluntary, civil society engagement in Austria (dieziwi) 

I want to donate goods

Fundraising campaign by Volkshilfe Upper Austria

Here you can find the locations and opening hours of over 20 shops where you can leave your donations in kind.

To the Website of the NGO Volkshilfe in Upper Austria 

Caritas’ emergency work in Ukraine

Caritas’ work in Ukraine began 30 years ago. The already existing strong networks and partnerships are the basis for quick help. More precisely, Caritas helps distributing food, heating fuel, hygiene products and also supports children in schools and so-called “Child-friendly spaces”. Also, they support older and care-dependent people in faraway villages.

To the website of Caritas in Upper Austria 

I want to offer another kind of support (f. ex. translation services)

Neighborhood help 

At the office of the Upper Austrian State Government there exists a mailbox where you can submit your offer.

The address is as follows: nachbarschaftshilfe@ooe.gv.at

Platform “zusammenhelfen” (Helping together)

The platform “zusammenhelfen in OÖ” (Helping together in Upper Austria) from the association “dieziwi” offers networking opportunities and coordinates voluntary initiatives in all districts of Upper Austria. Initiatives can registers there and volunteers can check where help is needed.

To the website of the Association for the promotion of voluntary, civil society engagement in Austria (dieziwi) 

Information on entering and staying in Austria

I need help

I am an Ukrainian citizen and I need information or help (accommodation, supplies/basic care).

You can get information and help on the hotline  +43 1 2676 870 9460. Accommodation and supply options are offered there.

On the website of the Federal Agency for Reception and Support Services (BBU) you will also find help and information in Ukrainian (information leaflet).

I live in Upper Austria and I am accommodating Ukrainian family members/friends. I have questions and I need support.

Please get in contact with the Office of the Upper Austrian State Government via the hotline  +43 732 7720 16200 or send your requests on nachbarschaftshilfe@ooe.gv.at.

In case you need support for the accommodated person/s, please send his/her/their data as well: nachbarschaftshilfe@ooe.gv.at.

In urgent cases, the hotline  +43 1 267 870 9460 is available around the clock.


I need information about the application for asylum.

On the website of the Office of Foreign Affairs and Asylum (in German: BFA – Bundesamt für Fremdenwesen) you can find further information and a FAQ section concerning asylum procedures.

I need information concerning visa, entry to a country, rights of residence.

On the website of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (in German: BM.I Bundesministerium für Inneres) you can find a FAQ section concerning visa and entry with special regard to the situation in Ukraine.

To the Ministry of Internal Affairs 

Protection against violence

Displaced people are at risk of being trafficked. Some people want to help, but are not those who they pretend to be. Here you can find support material and information about human trafficking and exploitation in English and Ukrainian:

To the website "LEFÖ – Counselling, Education and Support for Migrate Women" 

Do not become a victim of trafficking!

  • Listen to your intuition
  • Do not hand over your documents to anyone
  • Do not give your phone to anyone
  • Agree on the price for transport before you start
  • If you travel with someone in a car, ask for the exact address, his phone number and insist that he shows you a document
  • Write down the car´s plate number or take a photo and send it to a person you trust
  • Stay in touch with people you trust while you are travelling, send photos to show, where you are

In case of emergencies, call the police at  112 or  133 from any phone.
In cases of suspicious activity concerning human trafficking call the human trafficking hotline:  +43 677 61 34 34 34 (24 hours/7 days a week)

Living in Upper Austria

Right of residence

The following groups of persons have a right of residence in Austria until March 3, 2023.

  • Ukrainian citizens and their core family members who left Ukraine due to the armed conflict
  • Third-country nationals and stateless persons with protection status in Ukraine (e.g. asylum seekers) and their core family members who have left Ukraine due to the armed conflict
  • Ukrainian citizens who have already been legally resident in Austria before the outbreak of the armed conflict and cannot return to their place of residence

This right of residence allows access to the labor market, housing, medical care and education. This requires registration as a displaced person.

Note: The persons for whom the Regulation for displaced persons applies do not need to request asylum. The BFA (Federal Office for Immigration and Asylum) does not process any asylum applications for the duration of residence entitlement as a displaced person.

Obligation to register

Displaced persons fall within the scope of the general obligation to register and must therefore report their residence to the respective local authority or municipal administration within three days from settling into the accommodation (in the basic care facility or at the private accommodation provider).

In case you are moving out again of your accommodation, you have to unsubscribe or to register your change in address.

Basic care

In case of questions and lack of clarity please contact your responsible local welfare office (where you applied for basic care) or the authorized governmental office.

In case of lack of clarity you can contact the responsible welfare office for basic care in Upper Austria: nachbarschaftshilfe@ooe.gv.at

Financial Benefits

Financial support is granted to displaced persons within the framework of basic allowance. One can apply for it at the local social organization in charge (Volkshilfe or Caritas). Support services within the framework of basic allowance are always provided directly to the accommodated person(s).

Food Allowance:

  • Adults: EUR 260,- per month
  • Children: EUR 145,- per month

Rent Allowance: 
(A rental contract is required for the granting of a rent subsidy.)

  • For individuals: max. EUR 165,- per month
  • For families: max. EUR 330,- per month

The following documents are required for the application:

  • Certificate of registration of all refugees
  • Main rental contract of the accommodation
  • ID documents of the refugees
  • If necessary, the contract for precarium or tenacy at will (subletting without charge)*

* In the case of precarious contracts or contracts for hire and reward, proof of the operating costs incurred by the use of the premises must be provided.

Family support for immigrants from Ukraine

Persons who have been granted a temporary right of residence are entitled to an allowance for their children who have also been granted this right of residence.

Working in Upper Austria

Ukrainian displaced persons who have registered have the right to work in all industry sectors in Austria. This requires an employment permit from the AMS. The employment permit either is requested by the employer himself or is issued by the employer in the case of active job placement by the AMS.

The AMS supports all persons with a valid ID card for displaced persons with adequate offers such as German courses, competence surveys and qualifications in the view of the labor market integration and actively offers job placement for open positions.

Please take your blue identity card for displaced persons with you when coming to the AMS.

Duty to pay an effort on the job market

In order to receive ongoing financial benefits from the basic care system, it is necessary to pay an effort on the job market. This means that no report at the AMS is required to receive the first payment of basic care, but after that, it is necessary for YOU to register at the AMS in order to continue receiving financial benefits from the basic care system.

School-age children, people over the age of 60, women with care responsibilities for small children and sick or disabled people who are unable to work due to the illness/impairment are exempt from the duty. All these people do not have to report to the AMS.

Note: Income that you receive as a result of taking up work can reduce your benefit from basic care services. The tax-free allowance for basic care is 110 Euros per month per working person plus 80 Euros for each core family member (partners, spouses and minors).

Temporary return to Ukraine

The granted basic care payments expire when you leave the federal territory. It can of course be granted again when you return. You are nevertheless obliged to report any changes to the welfare office.

Apart from that, the status as a displaced person also expires if the stay abroad lasts more than “a short time”. The ID card as a displaced person must be returned when the absence lasts three weeks or longer. You can apply again for the status as a displaced person after your return.

Note that such a temporary return with reference to the compulsory schooling outside of the holidays is hardly possible for school-age children.


In any case, you are obliged to register school-age children (6 - 15 years) by the end of the school year in your municipality of residence or to apply for a school place in autumn 2022. Every school-age child has the right to obtain a school place in Austria from autumn 2022 on.

For access to preschool, please contact your local municipality.


Once you have taken care of the basic care benefits, it is recommended to take your pet to a veterinarian and have the animal tagged and vaccinated against rabies, if this has not already been done at the EU's external border.

Information for dog owners

Below you will find some information about dog ownership.

If you have questions, please call:

Amt der Oö. Landesregierung
Direktion Soziales und Gesundheit
Abteilung Soziales

Bahnhofplatz 1
4021 Linz

Phone (+43 732) 77 20-162 00
Fax (+43 732) 77 20-21 56 19
E-mail nachbarschaftshilfe@ooe.gv.at